As part of their RE topic this term, Year 6 pupils have been exploring how faith has guided the actions and choices of influential figures, both past and present.
Following our Founders’ Day Service, the children visited the School’s Archive Room to learn about the history of Blue Coat from its beginnings as a charity school under the guidance of Reverend William Higgs, the Rector of St Philip’s Church (now Birmingham Cathedral) to its current location in Harborne.
The children were taken back in time to 1915 when they found out the names of scholars who had fought valiantly during The Great War. They also learnt that not only were there blue coats but also green coats! A replica of the Blue Coat uniform was produced in green to identify pupils sponsored by the George Fentham Trust. George Fentham was a Birmingham mercer and generously funded hundreds of boys and girls to attend the School in its early years.
Not surprisingly, when investigating who had won the inter-house snooker in 1999, the St Philip’s boys let out a small cheer!